Thursday, December 27, 2007

History

Dec 23, 2007
“Be, yan na lang o, okay na yan. Kahit yan na lang ang bigay mo sa akin.” (Be, over there, that’s fine with me) Joy was gesturing over at a Silverworks shop in Market Market. She was joking that a silver ring would do for an engagement ring. She joked like this a lot because she had already set her mind that I wouldn’t give her a real engagement ring, since we're in the stage of planning the wedding already. And as I’ve said earlier, this wasn’t the first time she hinted—well if not directly spat out---that she wanted one. B.S. aside, I was really planning to give her one. It’s just that the “OPERATOR” in me worked the whole thing up till I can get her mind off it for a while. Budget is such a pain in the @ss because these things don’t come cheap, that’s why I had to do some delaying tactics in order to save for it. There were a lot of times when I laughed at her, telling her na “di na kailangan yan!” (We don’t need that), or joking what if I got her a lollipop ring like in the movie which I can’t remember, stuff like that. What she didn’t know was that every hint I got from her was my checklist for the perfect engagement ring.


There were times when she would compare her gold ring to her imaginary engagement ring and she’d say something like, “I kinda like my engagement ring to be somewhat like this one, not too loud, the diamond’s the right size, it’s set low…”. That prepared me for my hunt, but of course it was always met with my joke-then-aloof-face-we-don’t-need-that tactic. It breaks my heart to see her frown after that but I said to myself to be strong. I know it will pay off in the end. I scoured jewelry shops, whenever I could with my little free time. Some were too fancy, some were okay but the setting was too high, some had stone settings that looked unstable, some were yellow gold, some had cheesy designs, some looked cheap—even if they were not! Man, I told myself, this will be one big hunt. I had to delay some more… Be, I really am sorry for the times I made you sad and made you think I wouldn’t give you your ring.


Backtrack Dec 22, 2007
My Mom, my little brother and I were at Alabang Town Center, doing some last minute Christmas shopping. After finishing the necessities, it was time for my hunt again. My brother and I left Mom at a lounge, she needed to rest coz she was tired and sleepy, and off we went. I wasn’t really familiar with the jewelry scene at ATC and being men that we were, we didn’t ask for directions. When I was about to ask a guard, I saw ACME Jewelry. Fine, that sounds like where Wile E. Coyote gets his bling, but sure, let’s check it out! After looking at a few rings, I was starting to lose hope again—too expensive, too cheesy, it’s yellow—it was crunch time and I needed a ring, the Perfect ring! Then, a small white gold ring with the classiest diamond setting was given to me. Wow. This is it. The next question was: DO YOU HAVE EPS (Express Payment System)? Now all my fingers were crossed, this will make or break my deadline. ATMs were soooo sucky at that time, being Christmas and all, and I couldn’t make a single withdrawal anywhere! Plan B was to beg Mom to charge it to her card, but I really wouldn’t be comfortable with that. So when Anna said they had EPS, it was like all the blood in my head rushed to calm me and my breathing regulated. Man, you’d never see me give my card so willingly to a stranger. IT IS DONE! FINITO! FINISHED! Well, not quite yet.

They said that I’d get my ring on the 28th, since I had to get it resized. That’s 3 effin’ days after Christmas! That’s 3 days beyond my deadline! Oh well, at least I’ve found The One for The One. I left with the assurance that they would contact me if it was done sooner. That’s fine, I guess.


Fast Forward Dec 24, 2007
The lazy bastard in me woke up at around 1pm. We were busy doing some fixing stuff around the house when Mom told us (my 2 brothers and I) if we could pick something up from the grocery. Being in vacation mode and all, I decided to put my cellphone on Silent Mode. It was about 3PM when I looked at my phone to check if I had messages and AYAYAY!… the saleslady texted me, saying the ring was ready. The mall closes early that day and I still haven’t taken a bath yet. I always shower fast, but man, this was warp speed!


My brothers decided to tag along and just do the groceries in Alabang instead. My alarm screwed up too after we picked up the ring and for a while we were driving with the alarm ringing 'til my older brother decided just to snap the effin’ wire on the alarm horn. It was stressful thinking how long before a police car chased us, but all I can think of is I’M MAKING IT ON CHRISTMAS! Perfect!

This was one of the most fulfilling days of my life!
I can’t believe how happy, relieved and excited I was, knowing that in my hand is a gift to make Joy officially mine. And the rest, they say, is her story… I love you, Joy.

1 comment:

Bob & Joy said...

This is the first time I read/knew about this story. I'm here in the office now, and I'm crying. Again. Pinagtitinginan ako ng mga tao dito hehehe. I love you too, Be. And I'll forever be grateful that I have you in my life.

...Joy